Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Second attempt at blogging

About a year ago, I started a blog about my knitting. I lasted 8 days. I just didn't have enough "knitting content" to post everyday, what with a full time job, a kid, a dog, and a bunny. I read plenty of blogs about knitting and spinning and got a little envious that I didn't have a blog so I could participate in knit alongs, swaps, or, most importantly, a place to show off my knitterly accomplishments.

Anyway, I've been knitting on and off since I was a teenager. When I figured out that my mother would not always agree to finish the stuff I'd started, I got serious about the needles. I still send stuff off to my mom but it is generally to sew things together. I have gotten much better about finishing things myself though.

I started spinning on a drop spindle around 14 months ago. I was so bad at it. I never got beyond park and draft. My drafting was terrible and so was my yarn. I loved it anyway even though I couldn't ever see myself knitting anything with it. In March, I took a spinning wheel class at Deep Color Studio. In April, I bought an Ashford Joy. Now I knit with my yarn. It is not perfect by any means. I practice and practice so that I can control the draft and get a consistent yarn.

Some of the projects I've recently completed:

Hot Lava Cardigan out of handspun merino and tussah silk;
Angel's Rest socks out of handspun superwash merino;
a Picovoli t-shirt out of Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere;
and, a One Skein Wonder out of handspun merino for my daughter.



I am currently spinning more merino for another One Skein Wonder with top I got from Carolina Homespun.

No comments: