Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Life is full of surprises

Two weeks ago, my universe went wonky. Wonky in a good way. My daughter signed a contract with a major modeling agency. She had been thinking about giving modeling a try. This agency has an open casting call. So I drove her into San Francisco on a Wednesday afternoon for the open call. Once we were there I watched them say thank you, but you're not what we're looking for at this time to quite a few girls. When it took more than two minutes for my daughter to come back to the lobby, I thought one of two things is happening: she has broken down in tears because they're not interested; or, they really like her. As it turned out, they wanted to sign her! She couldn't believe that this was really happening to her. Several hours of squealing later, she was still over the moon.

Last Sunday she had her first professional shoot--she had taken in pictures shot by her father to the open call. I asked if the photographer would mind if I knit while I waited. I got a good 6" done on the back of a slouchy sweater I decided to knit the day before. I am making this out of Cascade 220 heather that I had originally knit up as the Simple Knitted Bodice, which looked awful on me. So instead of throwing it in a drawer and forgetting about it, I snipped the binding off and turned that baby back in yarn cakes. I've never done that before. I used to live with the disappointment. Rewinding that sweater into skeins was one of the best things I've done recently. Yes, indeed, life is full of surprises.

No comments: