Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Experimenting

I've been busy experimenting with natural dyes. Last weekend I dyed up the last of my white BFL with cochineal and marigold. Here's what it looked like before I overdyed it.
Cochineal marigold handpainted BLF

I'd been inspired by some lavender growing in my neighborhood. So I overdyed it with logwood grey and got this.
Cochineal, marigold dyed BLF I like the soft colors a lot.

I also experimented with an improvised wool hackle made from a hair pick and a table vise.
Improvised wool hackle
It works and is a lot less expense than buying a hackle. I'm going to keep playing with this set up until I decide whether or not I really like blending on a hackle enough to sink some money into a better set up, which will probably be homemade as well. Here's the first roving I pull off of the hackle.
Roving pulled from improvised hackle

Ada blocking Right now Ada is blocking. I used my Knitter's Blocks and steam blocked the top. I'll have to block the garter portion separately. I'm half through knitting the first sleeve and so far, so good.

No comments: