Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2015

An open letter to House of Pain riders

Dear HOP riders,

Yesterday I was riding on Manning about to turn onto North Livermore when your group came by me.  One fellow yelled to me that you were a "big group." I replied don't run me off the road.  Of course, you didn't respected my request.  In fact, one of you came within inches of me nearly forcing me onto the soft shoulder. (Frankly, I've been run off the road more than once by your group in the past year--on Camino Tassajara and on Highland.)  Shortly after your group made their turn, a truck turned onto North Livermore and made it up to the back of your group in seconds.  He honked as he wanted to get past your group which was spread out across the lane.  Not one of you moved to the right so he could safely pass.  He crossed the double yellow line to get around you.

I guess the fact one of your group was killed on in December has not change your group's mentality.  You do not have the right to push other cyclists off the road just because we are not riding your pace.  We are not racing you. In fact, I am out on my training ride and have no desire to race anyone.  You are technically not racing either.  You don't have the permits, the road closed nor is it marked for a bike race. 

Believe it or not, I understand the desire to ride fast but I don't do it as if my ride is the only one that counts.  I also think that my behavior on the road can affect how drivers view all cyclists.  Your behavior goes a long way to re-enforcing the perspective that all cyclists are jerks who routinely disregard the rules of the road. 

I would love it if you would show some respect to others on the road at the same time as you.  If I am forced on to the soft shoulder or off the road by your group again or witness the type of behavior I saw yesterday, I am reporting you to the police or sheriff. 

No comments: